Welcome to the Gowerton Community Council Website
Welcome to the Gowerton Community Council Website

                                            GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL

CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR

 

Minutes of the Annual Meeting of Council held on Wednesday 2nd May 2018

 

PRESENT:  Cllrs Gareth Evans, Linda Bolchover, Barbara Small, Ann Guard, Viv Davies, Beveley Jenkins and Paul Emmerton.

 

ALSO PRESENT:  Clerk - Serena Thomas

 

1.         APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE Claire Kups and Sue Jones

 

2          TO RECEIVE THE REPORT OF THE RETIRING CHAIRPERSON

 

Chairman Ros Holt gave the following report:

·         It has been a privilege to serve as chair in the village where she grew up.  It has changed a lot over the years, and Cllr Holt stated that she is proud and happy to live in Gowerton.

·         Over the year there have been several concerts to attend, it has been lovely to see the talent in the village; also the Remembrance services which were presented and respected with dignity by both old and young.

·         Unfortunately Cllr Holt stated she was away for the Arts and Crafts Exhibition; however she did really enjoy presenting the medals and certificates along with Councillor Small at Gowerton Primary.  The Father Christmas Grotto was again a successful event with all the local children enjoying the event.

·         Cllr Holt’s last duty was to present the Gowerton Community Award for Art at Gowerton Comprehensive.  This was a very enjoyable event, she was very impressed with all of the academic results and also the other non-academic results (such as music/photography).   Gowerton remains an excellent centre for education.

 

Finally Cllr Holt wishes every success to the next Chairperson.

 

3.         ELECTION OF CHAIRPERSON

             Cllr Viv Davies was elected as Chairperson.

 

4.         ELECTION OF VICE-CHAIRPERSON

             Cllr Gareth Evans was elected as Vice-Chairperson.

 

5.         DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS:  None received

 

6.         TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATIONS –   

None received

 

7.         MEETINGS WITH: None required

 

8.         COUNCIL MINUTES

4th April 2018

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record.

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken was noted.

 

9          COUNCILLOR ALLOWANCES

The written report of the Clerk was noted.  RESOLVED THAT further to remuneration policy mandatory payment information; for the coming municipal year the following payments are to be made in March 2019:

Chairperson: £500.00.

Vice Chairperson: £250

All Councillors will be automatically paid £150 (gross)

Any member has the personal option to advice the clerk (in writing) that they do not wish to receive the payment for duties carried out.

 

10(A)   REPRESENTATION RESOLVED

The following Members represent Council on the following bodies:-

a)  One Voice Wales Area Committee                                   Chairperson, Vice Chairperson and Cllr Holt

b)  CCS / Community Council Forum                                     Chairperson and Vice Chairperson

c)  Area 2 Development Control Committee sites visits        Cllr Linda Bolchover

d) Planning Committee                                                           Chairperson, Vice Chairperson and    

                                                                                                Cllr Bolchover

e)  Rechabite Community Hall Management Committee     Cllr Gareth Evans

f)  Governing Body – Gowerton Primary                                Cllr Beveley Jenkins

g) Link person – Adopt a station scheme                               Cllr Ros Holt

i)  Events committee                                                               Cllrs Linda Bolchover, Paul Emmerton and

Ann Guard                                          

 

11(B) INTERNAL AUDITOR

RESOLVED:

  1. Mr. Lyn Llewellyn is asked to continue to act as internal auditor for the forthcoming financial year
  2. Cllr. Holt has delegated authority to act in financial matters of urgency.

 

13(C) FIX DATE AND TIMES OF MEETINGS FOR THE YEAR

COUNCIL MEETINGS 2018/ 2019

RESOLVED that, in accordance with Standing Order 1, that:

a)      Ordinary Meetings of Council shall be held on the first Wednesday of each month (except August) at 7.30pm at the Rechabite Community Hall and that the next Annual Meeting is held in May 2019.

 

b)     Special Meetings if required are held on the third Wednesday in September 2018 and February 2019 to consider applications for financial assistance and any matter of urgency.

 

(D) COMMITTEE STUCTURES and WORKING PRACTICES

RESOLVED that:

a)         Standing Orders- to incorporate Vice Chair is not obligated to become Chairperson, and that if voted a Chairperson can serve for up to two years consecutively.

            b)          Equality and Diversity Scheme policy adopted

            c)         Health & Safety Policy - No change

            d)         External contracts, due to an unforeseeable delay not all quotes for work were received   as soon as this is received the three quotes will be considered.

             e)        Data Management and protection.   Due to new regulations coming into force (May 2018), several new procedures must be put into place.  The new privacy policy was adopted and signed by all members.  All members signed and agreed to working within the new guidelines and the procedures for the use of people’s information.   All paperwork with any personal information (i.e names/address and or phone numbers) must be appropriately disposed of via confidential shredding.  Financial information will be kept for 6 years prior to shredding, all other information will be kept for two years and then shredded in above mentioned manner.

 

f)  The Working Party system continues on an ad-hoc basis.

 

12        COMMENTS by the INCOMING CHAIRMAN

Cllr Viv Davies had no announcements however Cllr Davies commented that she has been to several LDP meetings, and evidently there is a lot happening in Gowerton.  Viv stated that she is keeping a close eye on things and views it as very important to promote and protect Gowerton for the coming years. 

Cllr Davies finally said that she also wishes to assist local businesses as much as possible.

 

13   QUESTIONS FOR BUSINESS

 

Following questions raised by Members it was RESOLVED that:

1. For info. There is signage advising of the temporary closing of the bypass from Loughor by bridge. 

2.  Potholes in the following areas:  Sterry Rd (general) and by number 62 (by traffic lights, The top of Shaw Street, 2 Gurnos Rd, by Gorwydd Rd traffic lights, by lights by Woodlands, by Mill Street traffic lights  (by lights by vets) and the Inner relief rd. towards the crossroad lights.

3.  There are large tractors constantly travelling back and forth through the village.  For info.

4.  The first lane on the right on Woodlands, there are three cars in a line on jack support, this is dangerous.  To be reported.

5.  When Lorries are coming from Penclawdd, and the bridge is too low, they cannot turn causing traffic problems.  Improved signage is needed much earlier on this route.

6.  There is a tree hanging over the low bridge sign by 10 Mill Street.

7.  The tree maintenance scheduled on adopted land on Pont y Cob, check if this has been completed yet.

8.  Cefnstylle; the road (past the houses and last house on the right) is crumbling away at edges, and the road is slowly getting narrower.  The area needs maintenance, hedges cutting back etc.  Clerk to contact Highways to inspect.

9.  Residents are complaining that since the traffic lanes have been changed there is no way of turning right when driving out from their properties.  There needs to be a filter light for people to turn right.  Clerk to report

10.  With regards to the removal of the Magnolia tree on the triangle, clerk to investigate who has removed this tree.

 

14 REPORT BY THE WARD MEMBER:

 

Cllr Sue Jones had given apologies, however advised that that she will be meeting with builders re: Gorwydd Rd site along with another County Councillor.

 

15 REPORT OF THE CLERK

(a)Miscellaneous

  RESOLVED that:

1.  Email received from resident with regards to a path previously used (from Heol Y Gog to the park)   there has been a new fence put up and this has taken away accessibility to the area.  Members discussed and advised clerk to contact a footpaths officer at City and County of Swansea to assess the legalities of work carried out.

2.  The new agreed (NALC) pay scales for the clerk were adopted by members starting for April 2018.

3.  Data Protection/Privacy policy were adopted by all members.  All members also signed disclosure forms to allow use of information.  Further information in Agenda item 13.D.e

4. Remuneration policy discussed further to regulations set by Remuneration panel.  Further information in Agenda item 9.

 

15(b) Financial Matters

The written report submitted by the Clerk was noted.    RESOLVED that the following payments are authorised:

 

Creditor

Item

£ Amount

 

VAT

 inc

 

 

 

 

 

 

a)

Sky

Telephone Adv. Charges

38.00

 

yes

b)

Bay Landscapes

Monthly Cutting Charge

243.50

 

yes

c)

Sage One

Online payroll system

7.20

 

yes

d)

Spar

Envelopes and paper

6.58

 

yes

e)

Zurich Municipal

Annual Insurance

355.37

 

no

f)

Flowers

Bereavement

37.90

 

no

S137 – Letter received from Resident ABowen re: Karate Club seeking funding for another defibrillator.  Further info will be needed and to check whether appropriate grant funding can assist.  Cllr Gareth Evans to investigate possible funding options.

 

15 (c)  Correspondence

The items of correspondence were noted.                               

 

16  PLANNING MATTERS

Following was resolved by Council:

Application No: 2018/0722/TPO 

Tree Preservation Orders

Land at Gorwydd Road, Gowerton, Swansea, SA4 3AN

Clearance works to trees around mine shafts and widening of pathway within woodland covered by TPO 419

OBJECT

The same objections have been put in for this application as were previously agreed for this site by full Council.

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               ………………………………….………

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Chairperson

Meeting closed at 9:20pm

We are located at:

Gowerton Community Council

2 Castle Street

Swansea

SA4 6TU

Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:

 

Clerk:

Mrs Serena Thomas

07583 157571

s.thomasclerkgcc@ntlworld.com

 

 

Get social with us.

Twitter and Facebook will soon be added to follow!