GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL

CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR

Minutes of the  Meeting of Council held on Wednesday 6th March 2019

PRESENT:  Cllrs Linda Bolchover, Viv Davies, Paul Emmerton, Gareth Evans, Ann Guard, Ros Holt,

Beveley Jenkins, Susan Jones and Barbara Small

 

ALSO PRESENT:  Clerk - Serena Thomas

 

97.       APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE Cllr(s) None received

 

98.       DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS:  none received

 

99.       MEETINGS WITH:  None required

 

100.   TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATION – None received

 

101.  COUNCIL MINUTES: 6th February 2018

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken was noted. 

 

102. REPORT BY THE WARD MEMBER:

Cllr Jones gave the following report:

Monthly Report for February 2019.

Meetings attended:-

Regeneration and Development Scrutiny.

Adult Services Scrutiny

Child and Family Scrutiny x 2

Equalities Scrutiny to collect information from the Carers Centre, the Big Conversation for 7-11 year

old children.

Full Council

Meetings with Officers:-

Discussion regarding the new process for the black bag collections – trying to encourage those

residents who refuse to recycle.

Discussion regarding the NEAT Team work to be carried out in the village.

I attended the Concert in Gowerton Comprehensive School arranged by Mrs.Pearl Hill it was a great

evening with talented children performing. Well done to all concerned.

I attended the St.David’s Day Celebrations at St.John’s Church Hall – delicious Cawl and good

company.

I also attended the ALADIN pantomime in the Conservative Club, again a really professional

performance and congratulation to all involved. It was a great event that was well supported by the

village.

I have also been in meetings with the Highway Department looking at the proposals for the situation

at Elba Street since the creation of the three landed approach to the Doctors Surgery lights. Plans

being proposed are being brought to Community Council for me to explain this evening.

Issues in the village at present include:-

1. Street parking problems around Uplands and Shaw street. Cars accessing Mansel Street the

wrong way and parking there? I have had the Resident Parking provision repainted on Sterry

Road to make it clear for people

2. Day Service Charges being introduced and the effect on at least one resident.

3. Irresponsible dog walkers around Gowerton, also problem with the collection of Dog Poo

Bins around the village.

4. The installation of the new Traffic Light System being introduced at the moment by a

contractor . Any complaints please could you ask people to e.mail me and I will pass onto

the relevant officer. Can I just say that once installed the traffic flow will be controlled

remotely and not manually as is the case now. Also there will be cameras at these junctions

– I am appalled at the number of vehicles going through red lights. I have sent a timetable of

work to the Clerk and also put on my facebook.

5. Unpleasant graffiti has been put on the fence and on a notice on the cycle path – this was

reported to me and removed within 24 hours. This has been reported to the Police and the

Community Liason Officer of the Council.

6. The Police Office of the Rechabite Hall – I would like to organise a meeting regarding the

Police handing back the lease?

7. I held a surgery at the Library Last Saturday where I had discussions with residents.

 

 

103.  TO RECEIVE THE REPORT OF THE CHAIRPERSON

Chair report for Wed. 6 March 2019

 

Did cleaning and preparation of 4 seats in square ready for painting. Liased with group leader. On behalf of the Community Council provided black Hammerite paint, brushes, protective sheets and wet paint signage. The painting was carried out at no cost to the Council.

Checked the Notice Board with the original specification and found it to be set approx. 18” too high – (which would account for the difficulty in reaching the doors). Contacted the installers and met with them to discuss.

They agreed that a mistake had been made in the height but also offered to move the posts to a more

approachable position – so people could see the notices easier. They kindly agreed to do this for no charge.

I have since further prepared the soil there for landscaping with easy summer bedding– which will go in shortly – weather permitting. The daffodils around the edge are finally coming through but will be better next year!

Two slabs will be put at the base of the Notice Board.

Bought a few plants including 4 miniture bright green conifers and really look good against the black. I also

bought plug plants of summer bedding which I have been growing on in my glasshouse and these are almostready to go in when the weather improves. These work out to £4 for 20 plants.- (60 plants) plus 8 fuscia as requested) There will be plenty of colour.

I have put a further notice in regarding the traffic disruption in Gowerton and another to stipulate that we will accept notices for local charity/cultural events - subject to approval by the Council and if there is sufficient space. The original notices for other institutions will be removed as demand increases. I will give the second set of keys to the Clerk.

Also to clarify there are three vacant positions in the Council.

There were half-term activities for children in the Library. BUT contacted Elba and Penyrheol to find out if

there was any half term activities in the Elba (that perhaps we could advertise) Other areas have lots going on at this time – but Gowerton – NOTHING. Also we would like to know if there is a way we can improve the skateboard in the Elba in line with other local areas. Possibly we could have a meeting with this management team at Penyrheol.

I attended the Library coffee morning for St David’s Day where the children in the Mother and toddler group sang some songs.

Reported fly tipping behind the post box near Dan Yr Allt of a foam insulating square. Also noticed fly tipping in corner of green in front of the Library. Black bags etc. Would Clerk please report both of these again.

In line with what I learnt in the One Voice meeting last month, I would like to try and get the local businesses to form a Forum. Only if they come together will they be able to approach the Swansea Council to (for instance) reduce their business rates, or gain concessions that will improve the economy in area.

104. REPORT OF THE CLERK

 

(a)           Miscellaneous

 

The written report submitted by the Clerk was noted.    RESOLVED that:

1.   Information re: existing Police office attached to Rechabite.

2.  Letter from Cllr Jones re: traffic light refurbishment.

3.  Letter from CCOS – re: precept payment dates.

4.  Letter from Welsh Assembly re: possible age change for voting.

5. Invitation to 50th Anniversary celebrations of Swansea

 

104(b)                                      Financial Matters

1.For Payment The following items are for authorization/ratification:

 

Creditor

Item

£ Amount

 

VAT

 inc

 

 

 

 

 

 

a)

Sky

Telephone Adv. Charges

38.00

 

yes

b)

Bay Landscapes

Monthly Cutting Charge

243.50

 

yes

c)

Sage One

Online payroll system

7.20

 

yes

d)

HP

Monthly printer ink

7.99

 

yes

e)

OVW

Annual Membership

714.00

 

no

f)

Viv Davies

Reimbursement for Bulbs/hammerite paint etc for around noticeboard

170.54

 

no

2019/20 Financial risk assessment was circulated  and considered by members and adopted

 

104(c) CORRESPONDENCE –

 The items of correspondence were noted.   

 

105 QUESTIONS FOR BUSINESS

1.  For info.  Cllr Small informed members of a recent television programme which dealt with empty properties.

 

106 PLANNING MATTERS

1. : 2019/0405 7 Lliw Valley Close Gowerton Swansea SA4 3AH

Single storey side/rear extension and single storey front extension  No Objection

 

2.  2019/0427/TPO The Mount Gowerton Swansea SA4 3HA

To fell 1 Oak tree covered by TPO. No 421  No obejection subject to tree officer deems necessary

 

Meeting closed at 8:55pm                                                                                              

Chairperson

………………………………

We are located at:

Gowerton Community Council

2 Castle Street

Swansea

SA4 6TU

Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:

 

Clerk:

Mrs Serena Thomas

07583 157571

Gowertoncommunitycouncil@gmail.com

 

 

Get social with us.

Twitter and Facebook will soon be added to follow!