Merry Christmas from Gowerton Community Council
Merry Christmas from Gowerton Community Council

                                             GOWERTON COMMUNITY COUNCIL

CYNGOR CYMUNEDOL TREGŴYR

Minutes of the  Meeting of Council held on Wednesday 7th March 2018

PRESENT:  Cllrs Ros Holt, Linda Bolchover, Viv Davies, Paul Emmerton,

Gareth Evans, Beveley Jenkins and Barbara Small.

 

ALSO PRESENT:  Clerk - Serena Thomas

 

97.       APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE Cllr(s), Susan Jones, Ann Guard

 

98.       DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST FROM MEMBERS:  None received

 

99.       MEETINGS WITH: Not required

 

100.   TO RECEIVE ANY PUBLIC REPRESENTATION – None received

 

101.  COUNCIL MINUTES:  7th February 2018

a)  The Minutes were accepted as a true record except to record that Cllr Bolchover should not have been in the ‘present’ list as she had given her apologies. Ann Guard was present at the meeting.

b)  Matters Arising: The written report of the Clerk regarding matters arising and subsequent actions taken was noted. 

 

102. REPORT BY THE WARD MEMBER:

Cllr Jones advised that Gowerton rugby club fence at the entrance way to Gowerton has been replaced successfully.

Cllr Jones also emailed details of forthcoming roadworks in Gowerton.  This was in relation to a cycle link between Gowerton and Kingsbridge.  Also there will be an extra lane made by the traffic lights by the existing Aunty Ivy’s premises.  This will involve work being done to reduce the traffic island.

 

103.  TO RECEIVE THE REPORT OF THE CHAIRPERSON

Report from Cllr Holt:

 

·         Attended pantomime at the Con Club.  Cllr Holt commented that it was lovely to see the pantomime return to Gowerton again and congratulations go to the pantomime society and hope they will continue.

·         Attended the concert in Gowerton Comprehensive with the touring brass band of secondary pupils.  They were supported by the Excelsior Ladies choir which was conducted by Miss Lawlor. Wonderful musical evening in Gowerton.

·         Cllr Holt also reported that she enjoyed a coffee morning at Gowerton Library with entertainment provided by Gowerton Primary folk group.  Excellent welsh singing by pupils, and thanks to Mrs. Marion Davies for her work with the pupils.

·         Lovely to hear about the new fence around the rugby club, it makes such a difference to the entrance to Gowerton.

 

104. REPORT OF THE CLERK

 

(a)           Miscellaneous

 

1.  Confirmation of go ahead given to Martin Bignell re: Tree work.

2.  Training courses in local area in next month. Members advised to contact clerk if they wish to attend.

3.  Email received from Cllr Bolchover re: unauthorised signage in Woodlands. Cllr Bolchover advised all members of signage that had suddenly been put up in Woodlands advising it was private land and threatening fines.  Cllr Bolchover checked with the Council as they own the land.  It was a worry as this could set a precedent in the area.  The Council removed these signs and has advised to keep an eye out for signage in the area such as this as it will cause problems.

4.  Tickets booked for Community Engagement event – 13th March 2018 – Carmarthen. Noted.

5.  Independent remuneration Panel for Wales’s annual report now available.  Members advise clerk to received link to consultation.  Clerk will attend meeting in April.

6.  LDP meeting held on Tuesday 27th February – attended by Viv Davies and Linda Bolchover.  

 

Cllrs Linda Bolchover and Viv Davies reported on this as they were both in attendance:

 

The Welsh Government were making notes but weren’t allowed to comment.

Steve Bolchover spoke up very well as Chair of Swansea Biodiversity Group and was able to speak very well with regards to regulations pertinent to the consultation. Legal issues were also laid into; they have been neglectful within their own Environment Wales Act. They have a legal obligation to protect this.  The Swansea Council are going against their own policies – such as TPOs. 

 

Cllr Bolchover covered many of the previous issues that Community Council had previously objected to in consultation periods.  Such as insufficient infrastructure, traffic problems, over development etc. and Cllr Davies advised of the uncapped mine shafts in the area.

 

Mike Rowlands also spoke excellently regards to the issues in hand.  The final legal document has not yet been signed (section 106). 

 

Only options now would be lobbying councilors, judicial review or the Ombudsman for maladministration.

 

Members thanked Cllr Bolchover and Cllr Davies for speaking up so very well.  It was also discussed by all members that there is so much land available by junction 46 of the M4 and this site should be considered.  A new village could be made there, with excellent transport links etc.  Cllr Gareth Evans was given permission to speak at the Builth Wells AGM to try and get One Voice Wales to lobby this idea.

 

 

104(b)                                      Financial Matters

1.     For Payment

The following items are for authorization/ratification:

 

Creditor

Item

£ Amount

 

VAT

 inc

 

 

 

 

 

 

a)

Sky

Telephone Adv. Charges  

45.00

 

yes

b)

Bay Landscapes

Monthly Cutting Charge plus felling of tree in triangle

243.50

 

yes

c)

Sage One

Online payroll

7.20

 

yes

d)

`HP

Printer Ink

7.99

 

Yes               

S137 Grant Aid Payment Requests

 

104(c) CORRESPONDENCE –

 The items of correspondence were noted.   

 

105 QUESTIONS FOR BUSINESS

1.   Various potholes reported:   Shaw Street up to junction of Gurnos Road, Mount Street junction/Sterry Rd, Lower Talbot Street/Cecil Road, Sterry Road by LNW/Con Club and the Bus stop by CK’s/Temple.

2.  Drains reported: Bottom of Station Rd, Glanmorfa drains are still an issue, Elba Car park – past changing rooms, turn left and are on edge of carpark.

3.  Cllr Davies advised she has been to concert in the comp, St David’s coffee morning in the Library and LDP meeting in February.

4.  Cllr Davies also advised she has been in touch with the Land Registry to get owner details of the Chapel on Sterry Rd. it was bought in Feb 2016.  Clerk to go via Council to request them to contact them and ask for maintenance of the area.

5.  With regards to a new notice board in Gowerton, Cllr Davies priced up a board as £1681.  For info.

6.  It has been reported that there were nails purposely dropped in the waste ground by library.  They were collected up however this was reported to the Police.

7.  The broken step by the doctors has been fixed. For info.

8.  For info the old style lampposts in Gowerton are located by 9-11 Church street and by 29 Mill Street.

9.  The green traffic light is out from the surgery to lights by Commercial – opposite Swansea Health Solutions.

10.  The green light by the Toucan crossing on the inner relief road is still out.

11.  The verge to rear of carpet shop in the inner relief road is still in a terrible state.  Try again to get some improvements made.

12.  By the steel ingot (by surgery entrance) a lorry has driven over grass and churned up all the mud. For info.

13.  Cllr Bolchover reported that there is a buildup of cigarette butts by the Con Club on Church Street.  Cllr Small advised she would speak to the manager.

14.  For info – Gowerton Stores on Sterry road have reopened with new management.

15. Cllr Bolchover advised that she and Mr. Steve Bolchover have made representations with regards to the Dip by Woodlands. Many submissions to previous consultations have not been published. Cllr Bolchover stated that when the site was being considered for other uses previously and even though currently there are no plans to change the use of this area it is important to get proper protection for future years.  Many battles have been fought over the years and it has been fought to keep it a green area. 
 

 

106 PLANNING MATTERS

Following was resolved by Council:

 

No registered applications.            

 

 

 

 

 

 

Meeting closed at 9:15pm                                                                                              

Chairperson

 

We are located at:

Gowerton Community Council

2 Castle Street

Swansea

SA4 6TU

Contact us today!

If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:

 

Clerk:

Mrs Serena Thomas

07583 157571

s.thomasclerkgcc@ntlworld.com

 

 

Get social with us.

Twitter and Facebook will soon be added to follow!